Have you or your loved ones experienced severe chest pains, shortness of breath and sudden weakness? If you do, we advise you to immediately consult a heart specialist.
Cardiovascular disease is one of the leading causes of death in the world. It needs early detection and urgent treatment.
As a leader in the diagnosis and treatment of heart related illnesses, Gleneagles Hospital Penang’s Cardiology Department offers cardiac care from the early stages of detection, diagnosis and treatment. Equipped with modern medical technology, our UK trained cardiac specialists can handle adult, children and even babies with heart ailments.
What is Cardiology?
Cardiology is a medical discipline dealing with disorders of the heart and circulatory system. The field includes the medical diagnosis and treatment of heart defects, heart failure, blockages of the arteries, irregularities in heart rhythms, diseases of the blood vessels and other related illnesses. Cardiology also includes assessing the health of a patient’s cardiovascular system and the health of their heart.
Our Approach to Cardiology
We are experienced in treating a wide range of cardiovascular diseases and have comprehensive modalities to treat you or your loved one’s heart and vascular conditions. Our team of cardiac specialist are familiar with managing the healthcare needs of patients of all ages, and will help to put your mind at ease.
Our highly trained cardiac specialists are knowledgeable and proficient in a wide range of medical procedures. They possess advanced medical degrees and qualifications from London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Singapore, Australia, and other leading capitals.
We are committed to help you recover as fully as you can from your cardiovascular illnesses. This includes delivering post-treatment advice on necessary lifestyle changes such as stress management, diet and exercise.
Cardiac Diagnosis & Therapies
We offer comprehensive services in diagnosing various cardiovascular conditions. These cardiac tests range from non-invasive techniques to invasive procedures.
Non-invasive cardiac tests
- Electrocardiogram (ECG)
- Exercise Stress Test
- Two-dimensional Colour Doppler Echocardiography
- Exercise Stress Echocardiography
- Dobutamine Stress Echocardiography
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography
- 24-hour Holter Monitoring
- 24-hour Blood Pressure Monitoring
Invasive cardiac tests and therapies
- Diagnostic Coronary Angiography (Right & Left Heart Cardiac Catheterisation)
- Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Intervention
- Balloon Angioplasty
- Coronary Stenting
- Coronary Rotational Atherectomy (ROTA)
- Fractional Flow Reserve (FFR)
- Intravascular Ultrasound (IVUS)
- Intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT)
- Temporary and Permanent Pacemaker Implantation
- Implantation of Intra Cardiac Defibrillator (ICD)
- Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT)
- Electrophysiological Studies
- Cardiac Radiofrequency Ablation
- Endovascular Reconstruction of Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection
- Thoracic Aneurysm and Dissection (TEVAR)
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm and Dissection (EVAR)
- Transcatheter Valve Therapies
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Mitral Clip
- Transcatheter Pulmonary Valve Replacement
- Various valvular and complex structural intervention
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease Interventional Procedures
- ASD closure
- PDA closure
- PFO closure in cryptogenic stroke
- Percutaneous Mitral, Aortic and Pulmonary Valvuloplasty
- Device Occlusion of Patent Ductus Arteriosus & Atrial Septal Defects
- Percutaneous Transluminal Septal Myocardial Ablation (PTSMA)
- Renal Denervation for Resistant Hypertension
- Peripheral Angioplasty and Stenting
- Carotid Stenting
- Renal Stenting
- Subclavian Stenting
- Iliac, Femoral and Superficial Femoral Artery (SFA) Stenting, and below knee angioplasty
- Ateriovenous Fistula Angioplasty and Stenting
We have a team of experienced and dedicated professionals to provide world-class care in all aspects of heart and chest surgery in adults and children. We offer the cardiothoracic surgical services below:
- Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery
- Valve Surgery
- Surgery on the aorta
- Surgery for congenital heart disease
- Surgery on the lung
- Surgery on the mediastinum
Beyond the above, we are one of the hospitals in Penang, and one of very few centres in Malaysia, that can provide highly complex treatments like endovascular reconstruction.
Paediatric Cardiology Services
Gleneagles Hospital Penang is a regional referral centre for cardiology services for children. We offer surgical treatment for children with congenital heart diseases such as:
- Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
- Ventricular Septal Defect (VSD)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)
- Transposition of the Great Arteries (TGA)
Gleneagles Hospital Penang has one of the largest paediatric cardiac surgery practices in the Northern region of Malaysia.
- 24-Hour Emergency Department (inclusive of ambulance service)
- Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Cardiac Diagnostic Unit
- Daily Night Paediatric Clinics
- Delivery Suites & Nursery
- Dietetics & Food Service Department
- ESWL / Stone Treatment Centre
- Haematology & Oncology Treatment Unit
- Haemodialysis Centre
- Health Screening Centre
- Insurance Claims Office
- Intensive Care Unit / Coronary Care Unit
- International Patients’ Centre
- Laboratory (including blood bank services)
- Maternity Service
- Operating Theatres (including two digital operating theatres)
- Patient Rooms
- Rehabilitation Centre