Cancer is a disease that can affect anyone – the young and the old, the rich and the poor, men, women and children. At Gleneagles Hospital Penang, we understand how disruptive and upsetting it can be when our patients find out they have cancer, and we are dedicated to help them fight this illness to the best of our abilities.
As a leading centre for oncology in Malaysia, we adopt a team-based and holistic approach in diagnosing and treating different forms of cancer. Our cancer patients benefit from our multi-disciplinary team of sub-specialists, supported by advanced technology in cancer treatment. Our patients are reviewed by our team of oncologists, surgeons and other cancer specialists to ensure that they receive appropriate standards of medical diagnosis, treatment and patient care.
How Does Cancer Occur?
Cancer occurs when the genes in individual cells that make up the human body start to behave differently from normal cells. Unlike normal cells, cancerous cells divide and multiply at an accelerated rate. Once this occurs, the set of instructions in the genes of the cell no longer work as before, and the cell loses its normal function.
Other than cancer, several different terms are used to describe cancers which occur in different parts of the body. A tumour is a growth that occurs at its original site in the body, while a carcinoma is a form of cancer that occurs on the skin. A sarcoma is a cancer that occurs in the connective tissues like muscles, while leukaemia and lymphoma are cancers that arise from blood and lymphatic cells respectively.
Our Cancer Therapies and Surgery
Occuring at multiple sites throughout the body, the effective treatment of cancers involves a mixture of clinical oncology, radiotherapy, and haemato-oncology (scientific study of cancer involving blood or tissues making blood).
Supported by radiology, interventional radiology, and pathology, we provide the following areas of cancer treatment:
- Breast Cancer Therapies and Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer Treatment and Surgery
- Gynaecological Oncology (specific for women)
- Neurosurgery (cancer of the brain)
- Surgical Oncology
- Orthopaedic Oncology (musculoskeletal cancers)
- Urology (bladder and urinary tract cancers)
- Chest Medicine (cancer of the lungs)
- Gastroenterology (cancer of the stomach, intestines and other parts of the alimentary canal)
- Hepatology (liver cancer)
- Nephrology (kidney cancer)
- Cancer in children
Our Cancer Therapies and Surgery
Effective treatment of cancers involves a multi-modal approach to give patients the best chance of survival. At Gleneagles Hospital Penang, patients have access to a wide variety of treatment options tailored to their unique conditions that include:
- Cancer Screening
- Radiation Therapy
- Targeted Therapy
- Hormone Therapy
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplant
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Radical Surgery
- Sentinel Lymph Node Procedure
- Interventional Radiology
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Radical Surgery & Minimally Invasive Surgery (MIS)
- Interventional Endoscopy
Our Oncology Specialists
Gleneagles Hospital Penang has one of the largest team of specialists in treating cancer in the northern region of Malaysia. Our multi-disciplinary team of specialists comprising of oncologists, radiotherapists, and surgeons are ably supported by a dedicated team of experienced nurses who are trained to sensitively manage the physical and emotional needs of our cancer patients.
Our Treatment Facilities and Equipment
To provide you with high standards in cancer diagnosis, treatment and care, we use modern imaging and radiotherapy equipment while applying meticulous standards of medical diagnosis, surgical procedures, and therapies.
In our Cancer Centre, the Radiotherapy Centre houses two Elekta linear accelerators that allow us to provide advanced cancer therapies such as:
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)
- Stereotactic Radiotherapy (SRT)
- Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
Our dedicated Haematology & Oncology Treatment Unit (HOTU) houses consultation suites, a dayward, a chemotherapy drug reconstitution (CDR) unit and a ward for cancer patients. Some of the common conditions treated in the unit include breast cancers, colon and gastro-intestinal tract cancers, gynaecological cancers, leukaemia and lymphoma, and lung cancers.
As a referral centre for cancer in the northern region of Malaysia, Gleneagles Hospital Penang houses 10 operating theatres, which includes 2 state-of-the-art digital operating theatres designed for laparoscopic surgery.
- 24-Hour Emergency Department (inclusive of ambulance service)
- Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Cardiac Diagnostic Unit
- Daily Night Paediatric Clinics
- Delivery Suites & Nursery
- Dietetics & Food Service Department
- ESWL / Stone Treatment Centre
- Haematology & Oncology Treatment Unit
- Haemodialysis Centre
- Health Screening Centre
- Insurance Claims Office
- Intensive Care Unit / Coronary Care Unit
- International Patients’ Centre
- Laboratory (including blood bank services)
- Maternity Service
- Operating Theatres (including two digital operating theatres)
- Patient Rooms
- Rehabilitation Centre