Have you experienced a throbbing ache or pain in your lower back? Torn your ligaments in an active game of sports or even broken a bone? When medical situations like these occur, you need the help of an orthopaedic specialist. Experienced and trained in treating musculoskeletal diseases and injuries – from minor shoulder aches and pains to severe ankle sprains, hand and leg fractures, slipped discs and torn ligaments – Gleneagles Hospital Penang adopts a holistic approach to healing your orthopaedic injuries.
What are Orthopaedics?
Your body’s musculoskeletal system is a complex and inter-related system, and is vital to your well-being as it allows you to lead an active life, in which you have the freedom to move, work, play and be active. Orthopaedics is a wide ranging medical discipline which extends to many different areas. It is focused on treating both major and minor trauma, injuries and diseases that affect your muscles, bones, nerves, joints and ligaments.
Our Approach to Orthopaedics
Committed to helping you and your loved ones to recover as fully as you can from your injuries and illnesses, Gleneagles Hospital Penang adopts a holistic approach in attending to your musculoskeletal treatments. We have the knowledge and expertise to handhold each and every patient through the entire consultation and treatment process.
As recovery from musculoskeletal diseases and injuries may take some time, our care does not stop at the hospital doors. Our specialists will recommend appropriate rehabilitative treatments including physiotherapy to help you restore the use of your limbs and body.
Orthopaedic Treatments and Services
Covering general and specialised aspects of the musculoskeletal system, the Gleneagles Hospital Penang's orthopaedics team comprises of experienced surgeons who have distinct areas of specialisation. While generic treatment procedures are familiar to all our specialists, we have surgeons who focus on medical sub-specialties and fields like paediatrics (children and babies), geriatrics (elderly), trauma or sports injuries. Our specialists also possess in-depth expertise in different areas of the body like the foot and ankle, hand and wrist, spine, hip, or knee.
Major Areas of Specialisation
General & Advance Trauma Surgery
- Fracture fixation with emphasis on minimally invasive surgery
- Soft tissue reconstruction
Foot & Ankle Surgery
- Ankle arthroscopy and tendinoscopy of the foot
- Reconstructive ligament surgery
- Reconstrucive surgery of forefoot (bunion and the lesser toes), midfoot, hindfoot and the ankle
- Fracture care
- Diabetic foot care
- Orthotics and footwear prescriptions
- Care for nails, corns, and callouses
Hand Surgery & Reconstructive Microsurgery
- Common Hand Conditions
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Trigger fingers
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Ganglion cysts
- Hand Infections
- Hand and Wrist Arthritis
- Hand tumours
- Wrist Trauma & Disorders
- Acute and chronic wrist pain
- Distal radial fractures
- Carpal bone fractures including scaphoid fracture
- Wrist instability
- Minimally Invasive Hand & Wrist Surgery
- Wrist arthroscopy
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release
- Hand Trauma
- Reattachment of amputated fingers and hand
- Fingertip injuries
- Tendon, nerve and joint injuries
- Hand fractures
- Congenital Hand Anomalies
- Reconstruction of Upper Limbs
- Upper limb paralysis e.g. brachial plexus injuries, stroke
- Microsurgical reconstruction of the upper limb e.g. flap surgery, toe transfer
- Finger joint replacement surgery
- Joint replacement surgery, including hip and knee
- Bone conserving joint replacement e.g. surface replacement
- Deformity correction surgery
- Revision joint replacement with bone augmentation
- Scoliosis surgery
- Disc replacement surgery
- Spinal fusion and disc surgery
- Spine tumour surgery
- Arthroscopic anterior and posterior cruciate ligament reconstruction
- Arthroscopic meniscus repair
- Stem cell treatment
- Cartilage repair
- Arthroscopic shoulder reconstruction
- Arthroscopic surgery to ankle, wrist and elbow
- Endoprosthesis replacement and limb salvage surgery
- Benign tumours, malignant tumours, bone tumours, soft tissue tumours and metastatic lesions
Our Orthopaedic Specialists
As a leading orthopaedic practice in northern Malaysia, Gleneagles Hospital Penang has one of the largest teams of experienced orthopaedic specialists with different sub-specialties in Penang. All our specialists are ably supported by a dedicated team of experienced nurses who are trained to manage a wide range of orthopaedic and trauma injuries.
Our team of orthopaedic specialists are familiar with a wide variety of musculoskeletal conditions. They include knee or hip replacements, spine surgeries, repair of torn ligaments and joints, to minimally or non-invasive orthopaedic procedures. Every procedure at Gleneagles Hospital Penang is augmented by the use of up-to-date technology to ensure that we are able to treat every bone, ligament, joint and muscle in your body.
On top of that, we have two dedicated digital operating rooms (OR1™) to perform minimally invasive procedures.
For patients, one of the advantages of digitally integrated equipment is the improved flexibility it provides – the instrument or equipment can be taken to the patient rather than the other way around.
To provide you with the best orthopaedic treatments available, Gleneagles Hospital Penang has modern equipment for diagnosis and treatment. Using different methods and techniques, we can perform the following surgeries and procedures:
- Arthroscopic treatments – Special cameras and equipment are used to identity, diagnose and treat orthopaedic problems which occur inside your joints.
- Fusion – Reconstructing broken bones through a process of fusing internal devices like metal rods with bone grafts.
- Internal Fixation – Using metal plates, screws and pins to hold pieces of broken bone together to facilitate healing.
- Replacement of Joints – Using artificial joints (called prosthesis) to replace damaged joints.
- Osteotomy – Cutting and repositioning bone tissues to correct deformities.
- Soft tissue repair – Repairing of soft musculoskeletal tissues like torn ligaments or tendons.
- 24-Hour Emergency Department (inclusive of ambulance service)
- Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory
- Cardiac Diagnostic Unit
- Daily Night Paediatric Clinics
- Delivery Suites & Nursery
- Dietetics & Food Service Department
- ESWL / Stone Treatment Centre
- Haematology & Oncology Treatment Unit
- Haemodialysis Centre
- Health Screening Centre
- Insurance Claims Office
- Intensive Care Unit / Coronary Care Unit
- International Patients’ Centre
- Laboratory (including blood bank services)
- Maternity Service
- Operating Theatres (including two digital operating theatres)
- Patient Rooms
- Rehabilitation Centre