Paediatric Urology is a sub-specialty of Paediatric Surgery that focuses on treating children with urinary and genital problems. A paediatric urologist is a surgeon who can diagnose, treat, and manage these diseases in babies, children and adolescents.
Urological conditions in children are often different from those experienced by adult patients. Paediatric urologists are skilled to carry out examinations and treatment that are suitable and comfortable for children. They use equipment and facilities specifically designed for children.
Surgery is required for many urological conditions in children with congenital birth defects. Some urological operations may be done with minimally invasive techniques like laparoscopic and robotic surgery.
Common Paediatric Urological Conditions
- Urinary tract infection
- Urinary symptoms such as frequent urination, pain during urination, foul-smelling urine associated with high fever, blood in the urine, bed-wetting problems and other dysfunctions of the bladder.
- Testicular problems
- Problems with testicular descent – undescended testis or absent testes
- Testicular torsion
- Scrotal pain
- Renal tract abnormalities
- Kidney obstruction and duplication anomalies (duplex kidneys)
- Vesico-ureteric reflux
- Ureteric abnormalities
- Urachal abnormalities
- Bladder abnormalities
- Penile problems
- Buried penis
- Phimosis and non-retractable foreskin
In Gleneagles, our paediatric urologists are experienced and skilled in diagnosing, treating and managing a broad range of genitourinary problems such as:
- Bladder control problems
– Undescended testes
– bladder and kidney stones
- Neurogenic bladder dysfunction
- Genitourinary malformations and birth defectsYou may rest assured that your child’s care is in good hands as our paediatric urologists are at the forefront of training, bringing together advanced care practices and outstanding outcome to your child.