Your doctor may monitor the tumour as compared to opting for immediate treatment because the prostate cancer develops slowly. Some treatments might also impose high risks. Before determining which treatment is best, symptoms, age, and overall health condition is taken into consideration and the type and stage of the cancer. These treatments include:
- Surgery to remove the prostate, side effects of urinary incontinence and impotence might occur.
- Hormone therapy to counter the effect of testosterone
- Chemotherapy to alleviate the symptoms of prostate cancer
- Radiation therapy (high-energy X-rays) to kill the cancer cells
- Radioactive implants (brachytherapy) to deliver a high dose of radiation
- Age over 50 years old, advisable to consult for prostate cancer screening with your doctor