Common symptoms of back problems depends on the severity of your conditions. These might include:
- Back stiffness and reduced range of movement
- Muscle weakness in the hip, thigh, leg, or foot
- Pain radiating from the buttock to the foot
- Pain spreading into the buttocks and thighs
- Sensory changes (numbness, prickling, or tingling) in the leg, foot, or toes
Rarely, symptoms include any changes in bowel or bladder function, for example from a large disc herniation that presses onto the nerves that enters the bowels or bladder.