Depending on the degree of severity of the injury, treatment may include:
- A brace for a few days to immobilise the knee
- Crutches, which may be helpful until movement and strength in the joint have improved
- Knee exercises to regain flexibility in the joint and strength in the thigh muscle; physiotherapy may be useful
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs to relieve pain
- Rest, ice, compression with an ace bandage and elevation of the leg (RICE)
- Surgery may be needed if the injury is severe, for example if the ligament has been torn and the knee is unstable.