It is still unknown as to how Colorectal Cancer is caused, however some risk factors can include:
- Age, over 50 years of age
- Colorectal polyps
- Family that has a history of colorectal cancer.
- Previous cancer that involved colorectal cancer, and for women, cancer of the ovary, uterus, or breast.
- Have Ulcerative colitis or Crohn's Disease (Inflammation of the colon).
- Smoke tobacco or lack a healthy diet that is high in fat and low in fruits and vegetables.
- High intake of processed foods and red meat