Usually caused by continuous and repetitive stress on the affected area, it can also occur due to sudden injury, poor stretching or conditioning before exercise or playing high risk sports.
Achilles Tendonitis is also more likely to occur when:
- You do not have shoes with good support
- You jump a lot (such as when playing basketball)
- You run on hard surfaces such as concrete or you run too often
- You suddenly increase the amount or intensity of an activity
- Your calf muscles are very tight (not stretched out)
- Your foot suddenly turns in or out
Tendonitis can also occur when a bone spur forms at the back of the heel. This can irritate the Achilles Tendon, causing pain and swelling, and is more common among older people.